Make it recycle ready
- empty any remaining food and rinse with water.
- remove lid. To find out if you can put the lid in your recycling bin, check the waste and recycling advice for your local council area.
- don't include any broken glass. Find out how to dispose of broken glass.
Where do jars go next?
They will be:
- collected by your local council’s kerbside recycling truck.
- taken to a recycling sorting facility.
- separated from other recyclables, such as plastic and cardboard.
- taken to a glass treatment facility and washed, sorted by colour, then crushed and melted.
- taken to a manufacturer to be made into new products.
Household waste and recycling collections will continue as normal.
Council waste and recycling facilities, including collection, treatment, disposal and transfer stations, are now open across all of Victoria.
Visitors must follow all directions and instructions for maintaining a COVIDSafe environment.
For more information on the location of your nearest facility, check the waste and recycling advice for your local council area.
For more information and updates, visit the Victorian Government’s coronavirus (COVID-19) website.
Want to recycle something else?
Search for another item to find out if it can go in your home recycling bin or if it needs to be dropped off somewhere else.